digital art by Pa Ul
I was like, I can help you find more gigs, but how about you do a little Internet marketing so you can gain more leads for yourself? Seemingly clueless, he responded with a question:
I could do that? I thought Internet marketing was for brands, products and businesses.
I tried to NOT be blunt by replying: "Are you NOT a business?"
The bottom line of the story, we got to agree that Internet marketing will work for him - and that it's actually working for him right now! He gets most of his leads online.
How did he start? Check a few of these tricks out:
1. Get a blog - everything Internet marketing-related starts off with a website. But I'd like to be a little more different by getting a blog instead. Why a blog, you ask? Simple. You get to do more posts everyday to appease both the search engines and potential leads. This is literally where you build your relationships with your target audience.
2. Be social - Simply put, get a Facebook Page, a professional Twitter account, a LinkedIn account, a YouTube account, and a business Pinterest account. Optimize all of these profiles with a good few descriptions and put in a link back to your blog. This is so you can get to boost your online presence in the search engine page results AND have a place where people can find you wherever you are (in an online context, of course).
3. Create a fantastic content plan - Since you'll be building your relationship with your target audience through really good content, you're going to have to do a little content planning. This is so you have something to do for the week or month. It also gives you direction for your Internet business.
4. Use videos - What beats a well-worded, thoroughly thought out text blog post? A video, of course! Besides not straining the user's eyes with bi blocks of text, it's literally funner and easier to do how-to videos for your audience - it's also much more effective at teaching them the stuff you're teaching them.
5. Teach your audience how to do stuff themselves - Sound like a crazy idea? I don't think so! You see, while you're giving away your industry secrets, you're not exactly giving them the time they need to do these. Just showing your target audience how to do it shows that you can do it proficiently. Enough for them to actually pay you to do the artist stuff for yourself.
6. Showcase EVERYTHING - Unless you've got specific pieces of art made for your content plan, show your target audience what you're capable of by showing them everything you made. Be it a graphics project or a video gig, let them know what it is, how you made it and who you made it for. Of course, you might meed some permission from your clients for this idea but try it out - just to show folks that you are the professional you say you are.
7. Be Professional but be REAL - You don't need to be an uber stiff professional to be respected and admired by people online. Just be yourself (and lay off the beer pictures on your Facebook) and you'll find more and more people who share the same passion as you do following you.
And that's how my good ol' friend's able to get more customers online. There's one other tip though, in getting more leads and customers online: BE PASSIONATE. You won't get anywhere if you don't have that fire to create that most good artists have.
What do you think? Let me know in the comments section below!
About the Author: Ben Francia is a passionately driven Internet Marketing and Outsourcing consultant. Through his expertise, he teaches people step-by-step strategic proven methods on how to be successful online.